REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIUDAL CONSULTANT SELECTION)
NAME OF PROJECT: CAPACITY BUILDING TO EAPP FOR THE OPERATIONALIZATION OF THE REGIONAL POWER MARKET TRADE PROJECT
Reference No. AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GRANT:
(ADF-14 ROE RPG /PROJECT: P-Z1-F00-107)
The Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) has received financing from the Africa Development Bank towards capacity building of the EAPP for the operationalization of the regional power market trade project in which the EAPP is a beneficiary of a grant component and intends to apply all the part of the proceeds for consulting services.
The objective of the assignment is to acquire the services of a qualified Project Coordinator (Consultant) who will be responsible for the overall direction, coordination, execution, control, and successful implementation of the Project “Capacity Building to the EAPP towards Operationalizing the Regional Power Market Trade’’ financed by African Development Bank (AfDB).
The EAPP seeks to recruit a qualified individual consultant with proven project management track record in the power sector or other relevant fields defined in the required qualifications/competences below who will serve as Project Coordinator (PM) for the Project.
The expected time of commencement of the assignments will be: April 2020. The total input of the assignment is 24 months.
The Eastern Africa Power Pool now invites eligible individual consultant to indicate their interest in providing the Services.
Qualifications and Experience: Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services. The shortlisting criteria are:
· Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Mechanical Engineering / Economics / Administration / Management from a recognized University (a Master’s degree or Postgraduate degree in Electrical, Mechanical Engineering, Finance, Management, Administration, Project Management or Economics will be an added advantage);
· Experience with EAPP or electricity utilities will be an added advantage;
· Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience in project coordination and management (Project Management Professional (PMP) or similar certification is a plus);
· Managerial experience in the field of development cooperation including grant management;
· Proven ability to draft, edit and produce written proposals and results-focused reports;
· Proven experience working with Government, civil society, international organizations and donors;
· Financial and economic analysis skills, procurement management (Tender documents preparation);
· Understanding and ability to ensure follow-up of technical, financial and economic analysis on power projects;
· Ability to work effectively in a multinational team environment with a capacity to work with minimal supervision;
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; communication skills in French will be an added advantage;
· Excellent ability to prepare reports and documents;
· Computer literacy in the use of office applications (e.g. office software packages; MS Word, Excel, Power Point, or equivalent);
· Hands-on experience with multilateral and bilateral funded projects;
· Experience in projects financed by external donors such as the World Bank, African Development Bank and also have knowledge of policies and procedures of the African Development Bank.
Scope of Services
The scope of the assignment includes (but is not necessarily limited to) the following tasks:
· Coordinate all the activities of the Project and third parties/vendors for the successful execution of the project;
· Ensure that all project related activities are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget;
· Prepare annual project implementation work-plan, by involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility;
· Coordinate resource availability and allocation by preparing:(i) an up-to-date procurement plan; (ii) the corresponding updated work plan and procurement plan with budget and (iv) timely submission of interim financial reports (IFRs) and project account replenishment requests to the African Development Bank;
· Develop a detailed quarterly implementation progress reports, and monitor and track progress;
· Manage changes to the project scope, project schedule and project costs using appropriate verification techniques, and report and escalate to management as needed;
· Manage the relationship with the EAPP management and all stakeholders;
· Monitor risks and perform risk management /mitigation to minimize project risks;
· Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation;
· Track project performance, specifically to analyse the successful completion of short and long-term goals;
· Review in collaboration with the EAPP Team the draft TORs prepared for Procurement of activities related to the Project (Technical Assistance to EAPP);
· Identify any support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the project;
· Ensure timely preparation and compilation of Project Annual / Quarterly Work Plans, budgets, updated procurement plans, and Progress / Final implementation status and financial reports.
· Prepare monthly reports for the EAPP and the African Development Bank on key project activities, issues and required action points;
· Participate and lead contract negotiations with the selected bidders;
· Prepare monitoring, evaluation and lessons learned reports and other relevant project related documents in addition to the documents specified in the Financing Agreement between EAPP and the African Development Bank;
· Guide and orient efforts and contribution of consultants, EAPP General Secretariat staff, EAPP Technical Committees towards achievement of project objectives;
· Ensure the mainstreaming of gender into all project activities;
· Manage Project Administrative activities, and monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
- Follow-up and monitor contracts that cover procurement of consulting firms, and different milestones defined in the contracts;
· Undertake any other functions directly related to the efficient execution of assigned position as directed by the EAPP Secretary General.
The Project Coordinator’s primary duties shall also include the following:
- Internalize/familiarize with the EAPP previous studies, Terms of reference, tender documents and consultancy contracts document as well as the AfDB Grant Agreement provisions and different AfDB guidelines referred to this project and understand the scope of service, roles and responsibilities of each party (EAPP and the Association);
- Internalize/familiarize with the institutional set up of EAPP in general and EAPP General Secretariat in particular as specified in the Project Documents;
- Engage on an ongoing basis with the EAPP General Secretariat Team, EAPP Technical Committee members and EAPP Advisors;
- Manage and coordinate day-to-day project activities, from all substantive, administrative and financial matters applying strategic planning and systematic coordination of project activities;
- Provide direction and leadership in advocating project objectives and ensuring that all interested parties are well informed about the project activities and goals;
- Ensure supervision of the Project personnel and ensure the quality of outputs and results with optimal monitoring mechanisms; establish an effective communication and coordination between the EAPP, the AfDB and other Development Partners through a well-established reporting system;
- Participate in AfDB Supervision Missions and project meetings and provide technical inputs, guidance and follow-up with the implementing agency (EAPP) in consultation with the respective advisors to EAPP General Secretariat;
- Ensure the quality of outputs and results with optimal monitoring mechanisms; establish effective coordination, monitoring and evaluation mechanisms; and
- Be very pro-active in providing solutions where obstacles and difficulties are encountered in all aspects of the project and contract management, procurement, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
D. Deliverables/Specific Outputs Expected from the Project Coordinator (PC)
The Project Coordinator shall deliver the following outputs:
· Project Annual / Quarterly Work Plans, Budgets, Up-to-date Procurement plans, and Progress / Final implementation status and financial reports
· Monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual progress reports on all project related activities;
· Periodic Interim Financial Reports; and status reports/updates on procurement, implementation, monitoring and evaluation for activities defined in the EAPP Short – term Action Plan.
· Documentation of all correspondences during implementation of project related activities;
· Project Mid-term Status report (by project Mid-term Review date) and Project Completion Report (by project closing date).
The Eastern Africa Power Pool now invites eligible individual local consultants (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested individual consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the Africa Development Bank’s “Rules of procedures for use of Consultants” January 2000”, setting forth the Africa Development Bank’s policy on hiring of consultants.
Duration of the Assignment
The duration of the assignment/service is for two years, subject to 6 months’ probation period with satisfactory performance before confirmation. Continuation to the second year will be subject to satisfactory performance evaluated yearly. Expected start date is April, 2020.
The EAPP is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Place of Work
Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) Secretariat Headquarters, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Application File (PDF Format)
Applicants interested in this assignment are required to submit Expression of Interest accompanied with their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), as well as education degree(s) and other relevant certificates.
Deadline of Submission
Expressions of Interest together with CVs and other required documents should be sent to the General Secretary, Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) on or before March 17, 2020 at 10:00am East Africa Time, in PDF format by using the following email address: email@example.com Expressions of Interest should be clearly marked – “Expression of Interest for Project Coordinator”.