REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT)
Name of the Project: Tanzania-Zambia Transmission Interconnector Project (P163752)
Grant No. D350
Assignment Title: Project Manager of the EAPP – PIU
Reference No. ET-EAPP-85435-CS-INDV
The Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) intends to apply for financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Tanzania-Zambia Transmission Interconnector Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting service.
· Coordinate the activities of the PIU team members and third parties/vendors for the successful execution of the project;
· Ensure that all project activities are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget;
· Lead the definition of the scope and targets of the annual/quarterly project implementation work-plan, by involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility;
· Coordinate resource availability and allocation by preparing:- (i) an up-to-date procurement plan; (ii) the corresponding annual/quarterly work plan; (iii) an annual/quarterly budget, corresponding with the proposed procurement and work plans; and (iv) timely submission of interim financial reports (IFRs) and project account replenishment requests to the World Bank;
· Develop a detailed quarterly project implementation reports, and monitor and track progress;
· Manage changes to the project scope, project schedule and project costs using appropriate verification techniques, and report and escalate to management as needed;
· Manage the relationship with the EAPP management and all stakeholders;
· Monitor risks and perform risk management /mitigation to minimize project risks;
· Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation;
· Track project performance, specifically to analyze the successful completion of short and long-term goals;
· Review in collaboration with the EAPP Team the draft TORs prepared for Procurement of activities related to the Project (Technical Assistance to EAPP);
· Identify any support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the project;
· Ensure timely preparation and compilation of Project Annual / Quarterly Work Plans, budgets, updated procurement plans, and Progress / Final implementation status and financial reports;
· Prepare monthly reports for the EAPP and World Bank on key project activities, issues and required action points;
· Prepare the project semi-annual and annual progress reports (progress against planned activities, update on risks and issues, expenditures), annual review report and final review reports, and submit them to EAPP and the World Bank as appropriate;
· Plan, organize and participate in the bidding or request for proposals’ processes for selection of bidders and ensure the preparation of acceptable bid evaluation reports to be submitted to the World Bank for no-objection;
· Participate and lead contract negotiations with the selected bidders;
· Together with the EAPP, prepare funding proposals and concepts for mobilization of resources for the implementation of the EAPP 10 Year Strategic Plan (2018-2017) and progress reports to Development Partners (DPs);
· Prepare monitoring, evaluation and lessons learned reports and other relevant project related documents in addition to the documents specified in the Financing Agreement between EAPP and the World Bank;
· Guide and orient efforts and contribution of consultants, EAPP General Secretariat staff, EAPP Technical Committees towards achievement of project objectives;
· Prepare TORs specifications for project activities;
· Assist in development and reviewing of the gender mainstreaming strategy in the Project Implementation Manual (PIM) and ensure the mainstreaming of gender into all project activities;
· Manage Project Administrative activities, and monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
· Participate in transparent and competitive selection, recruitment/selection, supervision and mentoring of respective project staff;
· Ensure efficient Human Resources Management (HRM), conduct regular performance appraisal exercises for project staff;
· Supervise the establishment and maintenance of proper electronic and proper filing systems;
· Follow-up and monitor contracts that cover procurement of consulting firms, and different milestones defined in the contracts;
· Undertake any other functions directly related to the efficient execution of assigned position as directed by the EAPP Secretary General.
The following skills are essential for this work:
· Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering / Economics / Administration / Management from a recognized University (a Master’s degree or Postgraduate degree in Engineering, Finance, Management, Administration, Project Management or Economics will be an added advantage);
· Experience with EAPP or other similar utilities will be an added advantage;
· Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience in project coordination and management (Project Management Professional (PMP) or similar certification is a plus);
· Managerial experience in the field of development cooperation including in grant management;
· Proven ability to draft, edit and produce written proposals and results-focused reports;
· Proven experience working with Government, civil society, international organizations and donors;
· Financial and economic analysis skills, procurement management (Tender documents preparation);
· Understanding and ability to ensure follow-up of technical, financial and economic analysis on power projects;
· Ability to work effectively in a multinational team environment with a capacity to work with minimal supervision;
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; communication skills in French will be an added advantage;
· Excellent ability to prepare reports and documents;
· Computer literacy in the use of office applications (e.g. office software packages; MS Word, Excel, Power Point, or equivalent);
· Hands-on experience with multilateral and bilateral funded projects;
· Experience in projects financed by external donors such as the World Bank, African Development Bank and also have knowledge of policies and procedures of the World Bank.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be obtained on the following link:
The Eastern Africa Power Pool now invites eligible individual consultants (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested individual consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The attention of interested individual consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the World Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” July 2016 and revised in November 2017 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
The consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant Selection method (INDV) set out in the Procurement Regulations.
Duration of the Assignment
The duration of the assignment/service is for three years, subject to 6 months’ probation period with satisfactory performance before confirmation. Continuation to the second and third years will be subject to satisfactory performance evaluated yearly. Expected start date is July 2019.
The EAPP is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Place of Work
Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) Secretariat Headquarters, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Application file (Pdf format)
Consultants/Applicants interested in this assignment are required to submit expression of interest accompanied with their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), copies of passport as well as education degree(s) and other relevant certificates.
Deadline of Submission
Expressions of Interest together with CVs and other required documents should be sent to the General Secretary, Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) on or before May 17, 2019 at 11:00am East Africa Time, in PDF format by using the following email address: email@example.com
Expressions of Interest should be clearly marked – “Expression of Interest for Project Manager, Ref no: “ET-EAPP-85435-CS-INDV”.