Project: Tanzania-Zambia Transmission Interconnector Project (P163752)
Position Summary: Communications Officer for EAPP
- Ref. No: ET-EAPP-303080 CS-INDV
- Position: Communications Officer
- Organization: Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP)
- Duty station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Contract Period: One year, renewable subject to satisfactory performance.
- Expected Start Date: 1st December 2022.
CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT SELECTION)
The Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) has received financing from the World Bank under the Tanzania-Zambia Transmission Interconnector Project (P163752) and intends to apply part of the proceeds for the following consulting services.
The consulting services (“the Services”) of the Communications Officer will include (but not necessarily limited to the following tasks):-
- Understand the brand that EAPP wants to portray as the first step of the strategy development.
- Develop, implement, continuously review and improve the EAPP communication strategies to ensure their effectiveness;
- In liaison with relevant departments, write, edit, produce and distribute content for a variety of internal and external communication channels including intranet, web portal, newsletters, face-to-face virtual meetings publications, press releases, website content, blog posts, social media content, development partners quarterly reports, annual reports, social media (e.g. Twitter), speeches, and other marketing material that communicates the organisation’s activities, products and/or services.
- Develop and sustain effective professional relationships with key internal and external constituencies including the development partners, media, private sector, academia and NGOs.
- Work with the EAPP IT Specialist to manage the EAPP website, social media and other online communications platforms and outreach channels.
- Monitor and analyze current events, including media monitoring. Keep the EAPP informed on trends, news developments, or changing/unexpected circumstances that may impact the organisation and its work and help to determine appropriate strategic responses to address them.
- Organize press briefings, public or broadcast appearances, and other communications-related activities, and support the organization/preparation of conferences and seminars, sponsored by the organisation. Work and provide guidance to others developing various communications products for specific campaigns.
- Provide communication support to EAPP. This includes review and comment on key documents, capacity building to undertake communication interventions, consultations, and stakeholder engagement activities through lending and non-lending activities (i.e., projects, programs, analytical work, etc.).
- Provide planning coordination and follow up support for all EAPP work plan activities including training workshops, field visits, media releases, press conferences and other media outreach activities with the ability to assist, consult or coordinate with others in assuring existing or new, upcoming communication tools and media channels are fully leveraged to assure proper communication.
- Ensure that organisational initiatives and projects are communicated to staff and key stakeholders to a) increase the visibility and outreach of EAPP among its stakeholders and b) support consensus building within the EAPP member countries and utilities through market roadshow events and other regional initiatives.
- Proactively engage in media work, including monitoring and analysis of traditional and social media;
- Assist, consult or coordinate with others in assuring existing or new, upcoming communication tools and media channels are fully leveraged to assure proper communication.
- Respond to media inquiries, arrange interviews, and act as a spokesperson for the organisation, upon authorisation by EAPP Management;
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with journalists and maintain a media database;
- Seek opportunities to enhance the reputation of the EAPP brand, and coordinate publicity events as required;
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics;
- Promote communications and marketing materials through appropriate social channels; and
- Develop escalation protocols for managing communication crises, should they arise.
- Bachelor of Science / Arts degree in Communications / Journalism/Public Relations / Political Sciences / Public Information / International Relations / Information Science / Media Systems / Advocacy, Economics, Development Studies or a related field. A Masters’ degree in any of these disciplines or a related field would be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years’ relevant experience preferably (but not limited to) in the power sector. For Masters’ degree holder, minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience preferably (but not limited to) the power sector.
- Proficiency in content development, design, and publishing software. (Examples: Adobe studio/Corel etc).
- Proficient in the usage of Microsoft Office, content management systems (e.g WordPress), and social media platforms.
- Proven experience in managing successful communications campaigns – demonstrating good understanding of strategy, messaging and relationship management with a range of external stakeholders especially media, development partners, civil society including the private sector.
- Proven writing, editing and speaking skills in English (should be able to read and write in basic French as well) and an ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, direct, and engaging style.
- Good understanding of the political landscape in the Eastern Africa region and positions of different stakeholder groups — civil society, media, think tanks and the private sector and others.
- Proven ability to manage sensitive/confidential information, demonstrating good judgment and care.
- Capacity to work simultaneously on a variety of issues and tasks independently, adjusting to priorities and achieving results with agreed objectives and deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a team player, within and across teams, actively seeking diverse ideas and approaches, and deliver on complex and sometimes parallel tasks on tight deadlines.
- Fluent in English and ability to communicate in French is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of the region’s political landscape, languages and culture will be an added advantage.
REOI and TOR
The Eastern Africa Power Pool now invites eligible individual consultants (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested individual consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The attention of interested individual consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the World Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” July 2016 and revised in November 2017 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
The consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant Selection method (INDV) set out in the Procurement Regulations.
Duration of the Assignment
The duration of the assignment/service is for one year(renewable). Renewal of contract for additional year(s) will be subject to satisfactory performance of the Consultant evaluated yearly. Expected start date is 1st December 2022.
The EAPP is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Place of Work
Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) Secretariat Headquarters, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Application file (Pdf format)
Consultants/Applicants interested in this assignment are required to submit expression of interest accompanied with their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), copies of passport as well as education degree(s) and other relevant certificates.
Deadline of Submission
Expressions of Interest together with CVs and other required documents should be sent to the General Secretary, Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) on or before November 9, 2022 at 4:00 pm East Africa Time, in PDF format by using the following email address: email@example.com . Expressions of Interest should be clearly marked – “Expression of Interest for Communications Officer, Ref no: “ET-EAPP-303080-CS-INDV”.
|REOI Communications Officer||9.11.2022|
|TOR – Communications Officer||9.11.2022|