Project: Tanzania-Zambia Transmission Interconnector Project (P163752)
Position Summary: Project Manager of the EAPP - PIU
Position: Project Manager of the EAPP – PIU
Ref. No: ET-EAPP-344746-CS-INDV
Organization: Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP)
Duty station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Contract Period: One year, renewable subject to satisfactory performance.
Expected Start Date: 1st June 2023.
CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT SELECTION)
The Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) has received financing from the World Bank under the Tanzania-Zambia Transmission Interconnector Project (P163752) and intends to apply part of the proceeds for the following consulting services.
The consulting services (“the Services”) of the Project Manager will include (but not necessarily limited to the following tasks):-
Scope of Services
The scope of the assignment includes (but is not necessarily limited to) the following tasks:
- Coordinate the activities of the PIU and team members and third parties/vendors for the successful execution of the project.
- Ensure that all project activities are delivered on time, within the scope, and within budget.
- Lead the definition of the scope and targets of the annual/quarterly project implementation work-plan, by involving all relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure timely preparation and compilation of (i) procurement plans; (ii) the corresponding annual/quarterly work plan; (iii) an annual/quarterly budget, corresponding with the proposed procurement and work plans; and (iv) timely submission of interim financial reports (IFRs) and project account replenishment requests to the World Bank.
- Manage changes to the project scope, project schedule, and project costs using appropriate verification techniques, and report and escalate to management as needed.
- Manage the relationship of the EAPP management with relevant stakeholders regarding the project implementation.
- Monitor risks and perform risk management /mitigation to minimize project risks.
- Track project performance, specifically to analyze the successful completion of short and long-term goals.
- Review in collaboration with the EAPP Team the draft TORs, EOIs, and RFPs prepared for procurement of activities related to the project implementation.
- Ensure timely preparation and compilation the Final implementation status and Financial report.
- Plan, organize, and manage the procurement processes for the selection of bidders and ensure the preparation of acceptable bid evaluation reports for submission to the World Bank “for no-objection”.
- Lead, participate and finalize contract negotiations with the selected bidders.
- Together with the EAPP, prepare funding proposals and concepts for the mobilization of resources for the implementation of the EAPP 10-Year Strategic Plan (2018-2027) and 3-Year Short-Term Plans.
- Prepare monitoring, evaluation and lessons learned reports and other relevant project-related documents in addition to the documents specified in the Financing Agreement between EAPP and the World Bank.
- Guide and orient efforts and contribution of consultants, EAPP General Secretariat staff, and EAPP Technical Committees towards the achievement of project objectives.
- Manage project administrative activities and monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure the accuracy and reliability of financial reports.
- Participate in the transparent and competitive selection, recruitment/selection, supervision, and mentoring of respective project staff.
- Ensure efficient Human Resources Management (HRM), and conduct regular performance appraisal exercises for project staff.
- Supervise the establishment and maintenance of proper electronic and proper filing systems.
- Follow up and monitor contracts with consulting firms, to ensure delivery of key milestones defined in the contracts.
- Engage on an ongoing basis with the EAPP General Secretariat Team, EAPP Technical Committees’ members and EAPP Advisors.
- Manage and coordinate day-to-day project activities, and administrative and financial matters by applying strategic planning and systematic coordination of project activities.
- Provide direction and leadership in advocating project objectives and ensuring that all interested parties are well-informed about the project activities and goals.
- Ensure supervision of the Project personnel and ensure the quality of outputs and results with optimal monitoring mechanisms; establish effective communication and coordination between the EAPP, the World Bank, and other Development Partners through a well-established reporting system.
- Participate in World Bank Supervision Missions and project meetings and provide technical inputs, guidance, and follow-up with the implementing agency (EAPP).
- Be proactive in providing solutions where obstacles and difficulties are encountered in all aspects of the project and contract management, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Make presentations on project activities in meetings and workshops to various stakeholders
- Undertake any other functions directly related to the efficient execution of assigned position as directed by the EAPP Secretary General.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering/Mechanical Engineering / Economics / Administration / Management from a recognized University (a Master’s degree in any of these subjects will be an added advantage).
- Demonstrated work experience in the power sector in sub-Saharan Africa with a public sector entity, e.g. a power pool, utility, regulator or ministry..
- Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience in project coordination and management.
- Experience in projects financed by development partners such as the World Bank, African Development Bank, and other multilateral and bilateral financiers.
- Proven ability to draft, edit and produce written proposals and results-focused reports.
- Proven experience working with government, international organizations, and development partners,.
- Procurement management including Tender documents preparation of development partners funded projects.
- Proven understanding and ability of technical, financial and economic analysis of power projects; demonstrated experience of regional projects will be an added advantage.
- Experience in one the following areas (1) Power system planning (2) Projects implementation (3) Operations (Generation plants or Transmission network) (4) Markets and Power Trading will be an added advantage.
- Ability to work effectively in a multinational team environment and coordinate between a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; communication skills in French will be an added advantage.
- Excellent ability to prepare reports, presentations, and documents.
- Computer literacy in the use of office applications (e.g. office software packages; MS Word, Excel, Power Point).
REOI and TOR
The Eastern Africa Power Pool now invites eligible individual consultants (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested individual consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The attention of interested individual consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the World Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” July 2016 and revised in November 2017 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
The consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant Selection method (INDV) set out in the Procurement Regulations.
Contractually, the Project Manager (PM) will be accountable to the EAPP Secretary General, to whom all reports and deliverables as per this TORs should be submitted. The Project Manager shall also work closely with the World Bank’s Energy Sector Task Team Leader other designated World Bank staff, consultants/advisers, and other stakeholders.
Duration of the Assignment
The duration of the assignment/service is for one year(renewable). Renewal of contract for additional year(s) will be subject to satisfactory performance of the Consultant evaluated yearly. The expected start date is 1st June 2023.
The EAPP is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Place of Work
Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) Secretariat Headquarters, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Application file (Pdf format)
Consultants/Applicants interested in this assignment are required to submit expression of interest accompanied with their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), copies of passport as well as education degree(s) and other relevant certificates.
Deadline of Submission
Expressions of Interest together with CVs and other required documents should be sent to the General Secretary, Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) on or before April 21, 2023 at 4:00 pm East Africa Time, in PDF format by using the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org . Expressions of Interest should be clearly marked – “Expression of Interest for Project Manager, Ref no: “ET-EAPP-344746-CS-INDV”.
|REOI for Project Manager – PIU||21.4.2023|
|Terms of Reference for Project Manager – PIU||21.4.2023|